Monday, September 14, 2009

Ahhh the weekend!

I saw that heron again today. He was just chillin' in the river where I last saw him. I wonder if his nest is around here somewhere...

This weekend was pretty interesting. Saturday, Beth, Ryan, LaDessa and I detailed (cleaned) the few places that still needed for the week and then spent the rest of the day doing our homework. Yes, even though I am essentially working a full-time job I do still have homework. I don't mind it much though, it challenges my faith. One of our assignments is to read a book written about two brothers who started the Ranch and then call some "alumni" of the Ranch to get their perspective of Ranch life and of the founders, followed by a reflection paper. Its due in a few weeks but I don't feel like procrastinating on it, how much of an oxymoron is that? And for those of you who know my study/school habits how much unlike me is that? Seriously, this Ranch is changing me (in a good way!). I also have to write a paper analyzing the Emergent Church movement. The good. The bad. The uncanny. Stuff like that. I've always found different theologies or ways of thought interesting. They allow me to define what I really believe and challenge my comfort level of where I am in my Christian walk. I'm all about getting out of my comfort zone.

Speaking of which I climbed the indoor climbing wall on Thursday (not sure if I mentioned that or not), talk about being uncomfortable. Man, I knew rock climbing was hard but I climbed for a total of 5-7 minutes and my forearms were KILLING me. I don't know how people do it for much longer than that.

Anyway, the homework is for a couple classes that the Ranch provides for us to take while we're here. Theology, support-raising, ranch history and retreat-hosting; all taught by the staff here. Its all very laid back and doesn't feel like taking a college class or even doing homework. They've somehow woven a desire for knowledge into me that I never had in college (a little late for that huh?). Better late then never I guess. After the homework session the four of us played Skip-Bo and headed to bed. Exciting no?

Sunday was a little bit more eventful. Ryan and I went to LifePoint church for the second time (our first experience left us wanting). The pastor spoke this weekend instead of a guest speaker and, I must say, it reminded me a little of Southland Christian Church mixed with a little bit of Southwood Baptist Church (Southland being my home church in KY and Southwood being my home church in Jersey). I'm impressed, the pastor has the Authenticity about him like Jon Weece has in KY but teaching like Pastor Joel MacDonald in Jersey. I think I might have found a church home here in MD but I am going to look around a little bit to make sure. I need to get plugged into a church while I'm here at the Ranch (its a requirement) so I need to make sure I'm listening to God and not my own logic about this.

After Church, Ryan and I road-tripped back to my house in Jersey to pick up my glasses and a few things that I left at home. It only took a few hours (4-5?) for us to do all of that, so we had plenty of time to watch football when we got back =D. We sat at Doug's place and watched the 4:00 and 8:00 games, GO NINERS!!!!! 20-16 against the NFC champs. That's all I gotta say. During the 4:00 game, though, one of the staff workers here, Morgan (she was an intern last year and now works full-time with the horse program) fell off a horse and had to go to the hospital. In respect for her wishes, I won't give out details about the accident, but keep her in your prayers. She is a strong woman.

That incident reminded me that even though unfortunate things like this happen to people all the time, it is part of God's plan for their lives. None of us will never know the extent of why things happen the way they do, but we do know that it presents multiple opportunities to show Christ to people through how we handle situations like these. God always keeps bringing me back to passages like Romans 5: 3-5 "More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us ," and James 1:2-4 "Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." When difficult trails or times of suffering barge their way into your lives, do not grow angry or throw a pity party. Instead, realize that cup has been passed to you for the development of a certain trait within you. Patience. Courage. Trust. Compassion. Hope. Faith. Perseverance. Insert any trait you want, life trials are meant to produce character. Give praise to God when you enter and when He delivers you from them.

God, thank you for your infinite wisdom and desire to be a part of our lives. Allow us to see past ourselves and our emotions to gaze into your eyes and know that you are God, and You are in control, no matter how out-of-control we think our lives are. Give us the courage to endure the rough times and give all the praise and glory back to You as we continue on and through them. Grant us the patience to see Your reasons for placing us under such circumstances. Whether it be to reveal Christ to another person or being us closer to You, whatever it is, we praise you for the opportunities you present to us to give you glory, because you deserve it!

Love you all,

WAH

No comments:

Post a Comment